On Friday, March 20, NC RIoT hosted a webinar focused on "How Technology and Data Combat Pandemics." As the world faces the COVID-19 pandemic, NC RIoT pulled together a host of incredible speakers who are focused on determining how to predict and prevent world-wide pandemics along with response and recovery measures. Below is a quick recap of key takeaways from the webinar:
Panel 1: Prediction and Prevention Key Takeaways
- Personalized healthcare is the future.
- When thinking about the future of healthcare, early diagnostics and remote monitoring (wearables) are the future. Health is impacted by many factors; environment, diet, physiology, etc.
- This pandemic is bringing new people together to solve a world-wide problem. This "rapid collaboration" is driving the creation of new relationships which will have an important impact on the future.
- A new push to value-based care will drive massive change in the healthcare system and will create an economic incentive.
Panel 2: Response and Recovery Key Takeaways
- Everything is becoming more human-centric. This pandemic will accelerate the change.
- A massive shift could occur to remove barriers to social well-being (ex: private health care data, early monitoring, etc.)
- Mental health is critical when going through a crisis. Don’t underestimate the impact of stress on your body. Consider impacts of a crisis on your mental well-being as well as your physical well-being (ex: your brain and gut.)
- Innovation and entrepreneurship is a key competitive advantage for the United States. We must use this time to do something huge to benefit the world.
One of the best takeaways from the webinar was the following:
“When American’s are challenged, we respond. We are the most creative and innovative people in the world. We can quickly address this issue.”
Be sure to check RIoT’s event calendar for more webinars!